In the wake of Canada’s defeated attempt to get a seat at the UN Security Council, the Ottawa Forum on Israel/Palestine has assembled a panel of three experts to understand what happened and draw lessons for the future.
- Why did Canada fail in its attempt to be elected to the UNSC?
2. How important was our government’s repeated pro-Israel voting at the UN General Assembly in that defeat?
3. Is Canada equally supportive of Israel in the other UN bodies where we participate?
4. If so, what are the main reasons Canada generally supports Israel at the UN? Desire to protect Israel? Pressure from Israel? Pressure from the USA? Domestic pressures?
5. What would be the consequences for Canada if it took a more “neutral”, or “balanced”, or even “pro-Palestinian” position?
Our expert panel:
· Peggy Mason is the President of the Rideau Institute and a former Canadian Ambassador for Disarmament to the UN.
· Dr. Ferry de Kerkhove is a fellow at the Centre for International Policy Studies (CIPS) at the University of Ottawa, and a former Canadian Ambassador to Egypt
· Dr. Miloud Chennoufi teaches international relations at the Canadian Forces College (Toronto) where he chairs the Masters in Defense Studies program.
The analysis of any of these experts is their own, and does not necessarily reflect the views of Canada Talks Israel Palestine.
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device: Please click this URL to join. https://us02web.zoom.us/s/81537818723?pwd=Wk9QZU1UUFE3OVluSXBoQW9FaC9JUT09 Password: 881494 Description: Subject: Canada, Israel and the USA
Canada Talks Israel Palestine (CTIP) is the weekly newsletter of Peter Larson, Chair of the Ottawa Forum on Israel/Palestine (OFIP). It aims to promote a serious discussion in Canada about the complicated and emotional Israel/Palestine issue with a focus on the truth, clear analysis and human rights for all. Readers with different points of view are invited to make comment.
Want to learn more about what we do? Go to